There is no quick fix short cut way to either writing articles or improving your article writing skill, but the following 10 suggestions will help you to improve your writing skills and may help to make the process of writing articles a little easier and more successful.
1. Read other articles – One of the best ways of improving the quality of your own writing, whether it’s writing articles, copy or fiction, is to read other people’s writing. If you only ever focus on your own writing then you can easily find yourself becoming stale and limited. Boost your creativity and imagination by reading other people’s articles.
2. Write, write and keep writing – No bodybuilder became strong by just thinking about lifting weights. If you want to strengthen your writing skills and develop your writing ability then you simply need to write. Write as much as you can, as often as you can. You don’t always have to be writing articles for publication – sometimes you may feel like simply writing your own private thoughts down. But the more you write, the better your writing is likely to become.
3. Read declined feedback – If your article has been declined for whatever reason, don’t feel disheartened, because you’ve just been given free advice on how to improve your own article writing. Read the comments, and see what you could do to improve your article writing for next time. Treat declined articles as learning opportunities, not failures.
4. Proofread – It’s astonishing how many articles are declined for silly reasons, and how many articles fail to achieve anything, because of a failure to proofread. I was recently approached by someone who couldn’t quite work out why his article wasn’t achieving very much, The fact that his main keyword had been misspelled in the title was one main reason. If you’re not going to check the quality of your writing, then doesn’t that demonstrate to the reader how uninteresting and unimportant you feel it is?
5. Start with a title – Sometimes it can be helpful to start with a title. Many article writers do this as a matter of course, with others writing the title at the end. If you’re one of the latter, then try giving yourself more focus with a tight title to work from. Focus can do great things for improving the quality of your articles.
6. create a structure – Often articles feel a little loose and unfocused. A good way of improving the quality of your article and tightening it up is to work to a structure. Either plan a structure yourself, or use a template structure available on the web (such as those on EzineArticles.com) to help sharpen up the whole article.
7. Forget keywords – One of the major reasons why many articles fail to appeal is because the writer focused more on his keywords than his audience. Try writing your article, completely forgetting about your keywords. You’ll be surprised how often they end up in your writing anyway if it’s focused on the subject well, and you can always edit your article later and pop a couple in.
8. Focus on your reader – Try printing off a photograph of someone from the internet, and sticking it in front of your monitor. Now write your article, but keep looking them in the eye. Imagine they’re your sole reader, and you’re writing directly for them. This will help make your article sound more genuine, more sincere, and more focused on the reader than you.
9. Be your own writer – Too often article writers try to emulate the style of writing they see within other people’s articles. Don’t. Everyone has their own natural voice, and if you try to write in a style which doesn’t come naturally to you, the whole article will sound unnatural. Find your own style, and use it.
10. Variety is the spice of writing – We can all get a little stale at times, so try varying the style of writing. For example, why not write your article as though it was an interview with someone? If you always write in the third person, try writing in the first person. If you’re usually very serious, try inserting a little humour. Varying the style and approach of article writing can often help.
As a final, 11th point in this list of 10 ways to improve your article skills, try writing in a different place. If you have a laptop, why not move away from your desk and sit outside in the garden, or at the park? Article writing can be fun, and whilst not everyone is necessarily a natural writer, everyone can improve their own skill by trying any of these suggestions.